Thursday 8 February 2007

Older people 'missing out' online

During my online search for video that would evidence the difficulty experienced by some older individuals with PCs, I stumbled upon the following article: "Older people 'missing out' online". The article presents findings of a survey by a consumer panel at telecoms regulator Ofcom, which examined the online access of marginalised groups. It supports the views we expressed during some of our discussions:that not only are the older generation missing out on the rich social networking opportunities provided by the web, they are also indirectly exluding themselves from access to government services as well as competitive deals on commercial goods. The research also found that more than two thirds of pensioners who are currently not connected said they would get online if they had the right support. Specifically, they said they wanted courses designed for, and run by, older people. Hmmm...now what if there were a device that removed the obstacle of the PC and presented the internet in an intuitive format via a television? I have a distinct sense of deja-vu. Back to my original thoughts: if my quest for video fails, I think I may be able to recruit a PC 'newbie', whose fumblings I could record for the sake of humanity. I'm sure they 'll be fine with that...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page